Growing in the Wisdom of God
Orthodox Theological Seminary
Theological Training Programme for the Laity in the Church, founded in 1984 A. D. by H. H. Baselius Marthoma Mathews I (Catholicose of the East and Malankara Metropolitan) by the initiative of H. G. Dr. Paulose Mar Gregorios Metropolitan (Principal of the Orthodox Seminary, Kottayam).
Proficiency in Orthodox Christian Education (P.O.C.E): 2 Year certificate course
Diploma in Orthodox Christian Education (D.O.C.E): 2 Year Diploma course
Graduate in Orthodox Christian Education (G.O.C.E): 4 Year Degree course
Thiruvachanabhashyam ( New Testament Commentaries): 3 Year certificate course
Aims of Divyabodhanam
- To educate the people in basic Orthodox Christian faith and practices.
- To train the people to build up a true Christian life-pattern in the midst of modern challenges of the world.
- To help Christian parents and families, by which the growing generation shall be properly cared and nurtured in a true Christian way.
- To encourage Christian leaders to work in the spiritual organizations of the Church at parish and diocesan levels.
- To prepare the people to face the new challenges, ideologies and problems of the time and to respond with a Christian mind filled with deep faith and complete trust in God.
- Anyone can join the course-men and woman from all walks of life without disturbing their day to day duties.
- No age bar, no basic education is considered for admission; but the interest of the applicants must be checked before the admission by a simple evaluation of the statements in their application.
- It is a non-residential course with facilities for weekly contact classes at the local or parish level under the guidance of the parish priest or a qualified teacher.
- A correspondence course is also available for those who cannot attend the contact classes.
- Self-study materials (textbooks) are available to the students, who can read and summarize them and prepare themselves for an examination held every two months, at the completion of each subject and before the next subject is started.
- The question papers are set, and answer papers are valued by the authors of the book, at the central office.
- Those who are not interested in appearing for examinations may prepare some essays on the titles given from the centre and shall submit them for valuation at the central office. To prepare essays students shall refer other books also, in addition to the textbooks.
- Examinations, writing Essays and Summary to each subject (textbook) are compulsory for all students in the G.O.C.E course. Besides these, each G.O.C.E student shall prepare a senior essay or thesis on any subject approved by the Central Office as a part of his/her academic requirement.
- Seminars for P.O.C.E and D.O.C.E in each subject shall be conducted at regional study centers (Diocesan level), according to the availability of the students. G.O.C.E seminars will be conducted at central level.
- New admission is possible every two months and all subjects can be completed in the order given in the Divyabodhanam calendar, which shall be given at the time of admission.
- The course is available both in Malayalam & English mediums
- Pass certificates will be issued to those who successfully complete the courses at the time of convocation which is solemnly organised in every two years at the Central Office in the Orthodox Theological seminary, Kottayam.
- Fees Structure
- P. O.C.E : Admission Fee- Rs.10/-
Examination Fee- Rs.10/- per subject
- D.O.C.E: Admission Fee- Rs. 15/-
Examination Fee- Rs.10/- per subject
- G.O.C.E: Admission Fee- Rs.25/-
Examination Fee-Rs.10/-per subject
- Thiruvachanabhashyam: Admission Fee-Rs.10/-
Examination Fee-Rs.10/-per subject
- Book club membership Fee-Rs.10/-(Text books will be issued with 30% discount to those have book club membership).
Fee concession is available to deserving candidate especially for Sunday school teachers, who join this course.
- Method of evaluation and assessment: The examination papers and essays shall be valued at the central office Kottayam, by the concerned supervisors. Pass Mark 40%, Second Class 50% & First Class 70%.
- Divyabodhanam calendar: A calendar giving the dates of commencement and examinations for each subject is available to the students.
- Divyabodhanam Library: A Library shall be organized at local/parish or Regional centers, according to the availability of funds.
- Correspondence Course: The Central Office provides facilities for those who wish to frequent for the course by correspondence.
- A. D. 2008 is the silver jubilee year of Divyabodhanam. So far 10000 students, both male and female, of different ages have passed out and many of them serve the church by assisting the priests in conducting prayer groups and other spiritual programmes. Around 1000 students have registered their names for different courses in the current Jubilee year batch.
A) P.O.C.E (10 Malayalam and 10 English translated books)
- Prakashathilekku/ In the Fullness of Time: New Testament Introduction by Fr. T.J. Joshua
- Daivajanam/ People of God: Laity in the Church by Fr. C. C. Cherian
- Prathyasakiranangal/ Rays of Hope: Old Testament Introduction by Dr. Dn. K. a. George
- Vedashastraveediyil/ Thinking about God: Introduction to Christian Theology by Fr. Mathew Vaidyan
- Janathakalude Prakasham/ Light to the Nations: Church, Ministry and Sacraments by Fr. K. M. George
- Visvasadeepthy /Radiance of Faith: Christian Apologetics by H.G. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios
- Sakshikalude Samuham/ Clouds of Witness: Builders of Christian Tradition/Patristics by Fr. Jacob Kurian
- Abba Pithave/ Abba Father: Introduction to Christian Liturgy by Fr. Baby Varghese
- Sabha Valarunnu/ The Growing Church: Church History in India by Fr. V. C. Samuel
- Jeevithapathayil/ On the Road to Life: Introduction to Counselling by Fr. O. Thomas
B) D. O. C. E (10 Malayalam Books)
- Apostola Prabodhanangal (A study on the New Testament Epistles) by Fr. T. J. Joshua
- Daivathejasileku (A New Testament understanding of Christian Life) by Fr. Dr. K. J. Gabriel (H.G. Dr. Gabriel Mar Gregorious)
- Pravachaka Sandesham (Message of the Prophets- An Old Testament Study) by Fr. V. M. James
- Nithyajeevanil (Theology of Human Salvation) by H. G. Dr. Mathews Mar Severios
- Nervazhiyil (A study on the Orthodox Churches) By Fr. C. C. Cherian and Fr. Dr. Johns Abraham
- Dharmadeepti (Religion and Ethics) by H. G. Dr. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios
- Sakshyapathayil (Indian Christian Theology) by Fr. Dr. Jacob Kurian
- Atmavilum Sathyathilum (Introduction to Christian Worship) by Fr. Dr. V. P. Varghese
- Adhuneeka Bharata Sabha (Indian Church History) by Fr. Dr. V. C. Samuel
- Bhumiyil Parudeesa (Christian Family) by Fr. Dr. O. Thomas
C) G. O. C. E (10 Books in Malayalam)
- Paurastya Christava Darsanam (Eastern Christian Perspectives) by Dr. Paulose Mar Gregorious
- Sabhayum Samuhya Pradibathadhayum ( Church and Social Responsibilities) by H. G. Dr. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios
- Christava athyatmikatha (Christian Spirituality) by Fr. C. C. Cherian
- Mathangalude sandesham (Message of Religions) by Fr. George Pulikkottil
- Pradeeksha sandeshangal (History and habits of Israel- An Old Testament Study) by Dr. Dn. K. A. George
- Yerusalemilninnu ( Church History from AD 1- 1054) by Fr. Dr. M. O. John
- Sabhaparamparyashilpikal (A Study on the Syriac Church Fathers) by Fr. Dr. M. John Panicker
- Edayante Pathayil (A Guide to Christian Ministers) by Fr. T. J. Joshua
- Sabhayum Samvedanavum (Church and Communication) by Fr. John Thomas Karingattil
- Manasum Jeevithavum (A Psychological analysis of Problems and Prospects) by Fr. Dr. O. Thomas
D) Thiruvachanabhashyam (commentaries on New Testament Books in Malayalam)
- On St. Mathew by Fr. T. J. Joshua
- On St. Mark by Fr. Dr. John Mathews
- On St. Luke by Fr. Dr. Jacob Kurian
- On St. John by Fr. T. J. Joshua
- On the Acts of Apostles by Fr. Dr. V. C. Samuel
- On the Epistle to Romans by Fr. Dr. K. M. George
- On the First epistle to Corinthians by Fr. Philip Mathew
- On the second epistle to Corinthians by Fr. T. J. Joshua
- On the Epistles to Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians by Fr. Dr. M. A. Mathai Ramban (Dr. Mathews Mar Severios)
- On the Epistle to Galatians and I & II Thessalonians by H. G. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios
- On the I & II Epistles to Timothy, Titus and Philemon by Fr. Dr. O. Thomas
- On the Epistle to Hebrews by Dn. Dr. K. A. George
- On the Epistles of James and I & II Peter by Fr. Dr. T.P. Elias
- On the Epistles of John (I, II & III), and Jude by H. G. Mathews Mar Barnabas
- On the Book Of Revelation by Fr. Dr. V. P. Varughese
Current Central Office Bearers (2007)
1. Patron: H. H. Baselius Marthoma Didimos I Catholicose of the East and Malankara Metropolitan
2. Vice- Patrons: All Metropolitans of the Malankara Orthodox Church
3. Director: Fr. T.J. Joshua
4. President: Fr. Dr. K. M. George
5. Vice-president: Fr. Dr. Jacob Kurian
6. Joint Director & Co-ordinator: Fr. C. C. Cherian
7. Registrar: Fr. Dr. M. John Panicker
8. Central Organizer: Prof. Varughese Mathew
9. Office Secretary: Mr. V.I Abraham
Contact address for correspondence with the Office of Divyabodhanam:
Orthodox Theological seminary
P.B. No. 98
Kottayam-686 001, Kerala
Tel. 0481. 2566526/ 2568083/2566650
Fax: 0481. 2302571